Brief Historical Overview:
The First Presbyterian Church, established in 1733, was the first established church in Morristown. The church had separated from the First Presbyterian Church at Hanover and its initial congregation of approximately 100 people drew from surrounding municipalities. The first building, situated on Morris Street, was constructed circa 1740 and was expanded upon in 1760. As the town and congregation grew, a second Church was constructed in 1795. This church building, which too, had been expanded upon, was replaced by the current Church on the Green in 1893. The building was designed by prominent New York Architect J. Cleveland Cady in the Romanesque Revival style.
Today, The Presbyterian Church in Morristown consists of two complexes of buildings. The first is the Church on the Green with the adjoining Chapel along with the original manse, The Howard House, which are located on the Green in downtown Morristown. The second is the Parish House, which is a converted church building, originally constructed for the South Street Presbyterian Church, located on South Street. Each building has its own distinctive architecture and history, however, both serve the congregation as well as the larger Morristown community through their numerous outreach programs.